Friday, December 24, 2010

In the last 6 months!

All of you know the reason I moved to Wyoming in the first place was for a job. I can’t believe that it has been 6 months since I have moved. I love my job and so happy I went into nursing. I glad I choose to work on the Medical floor as my first job as well. I see so many different problems and types of patients it’s a good base to start building my nursing habits. Also in my hospital it is the most stable floor and we have the strictest manager, which makes a more structured learning environment.

I’m considered one of the “stronger” nurses on the floor and the other day one of the physicians stated he wasn’t concerned about his patients when I worked and believes me when I think there is something wrong. Which I feel is a huge compliment because just being 6 months out of school and helps me feel more confident in my job.

In like 2 weeks I actually start precepting a nursing student for 6 weeks. I’m a little concerned and scared since I’m actually going to be teaching a person and help shape the beginning of his nursing career. I would like to someday become a nurse educator and a preceptor for new nurses so this is a good way to see if I actually do like teaching and training.

Other achievements that I have accomplished in such a short period of time is: I’m the Co-Chair to my floors Unit Council which is an elected position that get to do other exciting things other nurses on my floor don’t, like create the schedule that has it’s great advantages when it comes to my own schedule and getting what I want J . As well as, creating plans on our floor to help with productivity and job performance. I have been floating to other floors and able to work successfully. Which makes we want to consider Float Pool some day because of the different variety of patients and nursing I get to experience.

All in all, I’m glad I decided to make the move to Casper to Wyoming Medical. It is not nearly as big as the Denver hospitals but it’s a great place to start and to advance my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment