Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Biggest Loser!

For the past 7ish years it seems like I have wanted to loose so weight but instead of the pounds falling off they have been gradually adding over the last couple years. Being a nurse and my previous education I know how important it is to be healthy to help with the disease process of the body as we age and quite frankly I have really choose not to do anything about it the last 7-10 years of my life. I have always loved and will always love food, which is my biggest down fall. Plus I’m an expert at being a couch potato and laying on the couch watching movies all days is totally awesome!

I don’t know how many patients I have cared for that has diabetes, coronary artery disease, or severe obesity that are all correlated with eating too much. So I just recently signed up with the local Casper gym to have a personal trainer for the next 24 months to help me make better decisions. I went for the first time last week (the same day as shooting) and my trainer did all my measurements, which just embarrassed me more. Then I had a small workout where she actually made me dizzy from lifting weights. So hopefully being able to go at least once a week for the next 6 months will motivate me enough to go the additional 3 days I have off a week.


I also have a meal-plan in place where I can only eat between 1300-1600 calories a day in order to loose about 2 lbs a week and I probably consume more like 2000-3000 calories a day. This is a HUGE cut and changing my eating habits. I might as well become a rabbit and just eat lettuce all day J. Since I have started “eating” better there really has been a few days were I have successfully consumed less than 1600 calories and that involved not leaving my apartment and measuring everything.

My biggest challenges with loosing weight are:

Alcohol---It’s amazing how many calories are in a beer. And I could easily consume a couple beers a day with no problems.

Eating out! ---Restaurants are my downfall, because I usually operate under the idea that don’t normally have this, IE: Prime Rib, so therefore I must have it.

Carbohydrates! I love pasta, bread, potatoes and all the carb foods. I measured ONE serving of dry pasta the other day and I would normally consume probably 4-5x that amount.

Portion sizes---goes along with the pasta I just need to at least cut everything in half because I am my fathers child and can lick a plate clean with no problem.

Making it to the Gym at least 3-4 times a week. Once again I’m a lazy bum that loves watching movies in my bed.

Snacks between meals—and just empty calorie snacks—I need to get better at eating apples and carrots and healthier stuff like that.

FOOD at Work! So I mentioned that as nurses we see the unhealthiest patients but as a whole we don’t eat well. The other day a patient (probably overweight) brought in a thank you basket with candy and chocolate for everyone. It is sooo hard to walk by the staff lounge or nurses station and see those wonderful individually wrapped butterfingers and snickers that are so irresistible.

I weight more today then I have ever have, even with a boyfriend where all we did was drink cream and consume high fat foods. I weight in at 206 lbs that I hide well. So my goal is to at least loose 25-30 lbs and then keep it off. So if I am able to have some self-control and be able to cut back. I'll keep you updated!

Ohh and PS I have been drinking a beer the whole time I’m writing this J

No comments:

Post a Comment